The unit coincides with the ELA unit on nonfiction reading, so their responses to their questions will come from nonfiction texts on various topics and reading levels. At the end of the week each group will present its answer and evidence to the class.
With a setup like this, the questions are going to be what really drives the unit, and I thought I came up with some great questions that kids could approach at different levels. Some of the questions I thought would work:
- Was the Civil War inevitable?
- Was Lincoln "the great emancipator"?
- Did the South have a chance?
- Could the war have happened without women?
- Would the Union have won without African Americans?
- What was it like to be a soldier?
- What was it like to be a soldier's family?
- What were some of the important battles of the Civil War?
Anyway, if anyone out there has some good ideas for questions, or some good sources of short nonfiction texts on the Civil War, please let me know!