Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Procrastinator

This School of Blogger has an exam coming up on Wednesday! With blue books and everything! And instead of studying I am procrastinating.

How did I get into this pickle, you may ask?

I decided to teach social studies in Minnesota. Since moving here I have discovered I'm hardly the only one who has run into this problem. While most states will grant you a teaching license if you have been certified in another state, Minnesota does not have reciprocity with any other state. In addition, they are notorious for making it difficult for out of state teachers to get certified.

So when I applied for my license here, they told me I did not have enough undergraduate social studies credits to qualify. I have to take three intro-level history courses and one middle school pedagogy course.

I was pretty pissed at first but what cannot be cured must be endured. When life gives you lemons, etc etc. So I'm taking an American Indian Studies course right now and liking it pretty well.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Does Minnesota have a teacher shortage?

In California, where our shortage is chronic, I was able to take an exam to add social studies to my primary credential (English).

I wonder, though, if Minnesota is, through its credentialing policy, trying to discourage people from moving to the Land of Lakes? (10,000 Lakes, right? Or am I way off here?) :)

julie said...

I think you hit it on the nose - we actually have a glut of social studies teachers here. Certain kinds of teachers (math/science/special ed/ELL in some urban/rural schools) are in high demand, but social studies in particular has an excess. So I think the policy is an attempt to curb the supply.