Friday, March 02, 2007

How do you do it?

Kelly Vaughan has this to say about the decreased tolerance for student shenanigans that comes with being hungry. It reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask all the teachers out there:

Is it normal to be totally STARVING and EXHAUSTED by noon when teaching? Will this get better once I've been at it longer? Should I be worried that I have some sort of wasting disease? And what do people do to combat hunger and fatigue (other than eating students' lunches and taking illicit drugs)?

2 comments:

Anonymous Comments said...

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but are you eating a decent breakfast? I used to pack myself a breakfast of yogurt, juice, a banana, and a granola bar every day and eat in the the classroom before school started. It seems obvious now, but at the time I was shocked what a difference it made in my stamina to have eaten breakfast.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

Exhausted? Are you getting enough sleep?

And are your drinking enough water? Often dehydration can cause hunger pangs. This is often a problem for teachers.